Dogs Sound Alarm at House Fire PDF  | Print |  E-mail
User Rating: / 0
PoorBest 
Thursday, 21 February 2013 15:01

022113n2By Amy Sylvestri

San Leandro Times

Alameda County Firefighters extinguished a blaze at a home on the 700 block of Elsie Avenue early Tuesday morning after a dog alerted homeowners of the fire.

The one-alarm fire was reported around 12:45 a.m. and put out in less than 15 minutes, according to Alameda County Fire Department spokeswoman Aisha Knowles.

Four fire engines, one fire truck, one heavy rescue unit, and two battalion chiefs arrived at the fire that appears to have started outside from an ember from a fire lit in the fireplace earlier that evening. The ember apparently traveled out through the chimney and  landed on some nearby trees, sparking the fire near the exterior living room wall, Knowles said.

The heat of the fire caused a large living room window to shatter which led to the blaze spreading simultaneously on the inside and outside of the home.

Before the firefighters arrived, the residents were able to flee their home because their dog barked and alerted them that something was wrong, Knowles said.

The home belongs to local blogger Richard Mellor, who wrote on his website that the fire was “overwhelming” and gave his thanks to the firefighters.

There were no injuries and the homeowners and their dog are staying with neighbors. Damage to the home was estimated at $60,000.

CAPTION: The fire appeared to have started from an ember from the fireplace.

PHOTO BY AMY SYLVESTRI

 

Classifieds

Weekly specialty items listings, garage sales, and much more!

 

Current Ads

 

If you would like to place a Classified Ad, call Patrick at 510-614-1558.

Biz Spotlight

Tell us about your local business, events, and special offerings. Where you make the news!

 

Submission form

Real Estate

Get the latest in housing news and services delivered to you in full color PDF.

 

Browse this weeks gallery