By Amy Sylvestri • San Leandro Times
Pelton Plaza, one of San Leandro’s most popular shopping centers, was shut down most of Sunday after Stylist Hair Salon, located at 197 Pelton Center Way, was gutted by an electrical fire.
Fire crews arrived at the salon just after 9 a.m. Sunday morning and extinguished a two-alarm blaze within a half hour, according to the Alameda County Fire Department.
The fire started in the room where facials are given and the cause was electrical, officials said.
An investigator is still working on an estimate for the cost of damages, but interior smoke and fire damage was extensive.
The fire itself did not carryover into adjoining buildings in Pelton Plaza, however several neighboring businesses, including a shoe repair shop, a barbecue restaurant and a nail salon, had moderate smoke damage.
The neighboring businesses should be open for operation shortly, however the hair salon is expected to remain closed for at least a few days.
A firefighter working the scene was injured during the operation but is expected to be fine after treatment for non-life-threatening injuries, according to Alameda County Fire Department spokeswoman Aisha Knowles.